Saturday, March 7, 2009

Persepolis 1 & 2



Persepolis 1 & 2
categories: graphic novel, contemporary & historical fiction, girl power
Grade: A-

This was my first forray into graphic novels and I found both books really appealing. Marjane Satrapi's images really compliment her narrative, and at times, tell the story in a much more compelling, stark way than her words. Seeing such a harrowing time in Iran's history through the eyes of a teenage girl make the story that much more intriguing, and she somehow manages to keep a comic undertone when so many of the situations she describes are anything but funny.
Both books are quick reads, so I highly recommend them both.
Marjane Satrapi is actually coming to Syracuse at the end of the month, to the Rosamund Gifford Lecture series, so I'm hoping I'll get to hear some of her stories in person.

1 comment:

  1. D-':
    ^That's me because I didn't get a chance to read this book. I think I'll still show up, and I'll attempt to read the book before the end of the day if the school library has it :-D But I've sadly been much too nusy to get to the public library to grab a copy of this :-( Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete