Saturday, March 14, 2009

Favorite memoir?

My student teacher starts next week, and she's teaching Elie Wiesel's Holocaust memoir Night to my 10th graders. She'd like to start off by introducing the topic of memoirs and get the kids thinking about what they'd put in their own memoir. We want to show the students some examples of great memoirs (just excerpts - a page or two), but I want to help her to find examples that the kids will really find interesting. I'd like to start a memoir reading list to use not only to introduce the concept, but also to offer my students some suggestions once they've finished this unit, in case they're intrigued by the genre.
So I figured it's worth asking - do you have any memoirs you particularly like? Anything that you think 15 and 16-year-old kids would enjoy? Please share! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac... although I believe that may be fiction :-p But it has the word memoir in it! hehe. Tweak is one although I've yet to read it. Model: A Memoir by Cheryl Diamond although I've also yet to read this one although I've seen it around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Girl named Zippy by Haven Kimmel and Red Scarf Girl
    --Linda

    ReplyDelete